12:06 pm - Tuesday January 23, 2018

‘Datuk’ remanded 6 days over MACC’s Penang undersea tunnel project probe

DATO TEROWONG

MO,10/1/2018, GEORGE TOWN: The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) was granted a six-day remand order against a deputy chairman of a property development company today, as probe into the controversial undersea tunnel project continues. The remand was issued by deputy registrar Muhammad Azam Md Eusoff.

The director, carrying a Datuk title, arrived at the court about 11.40am in the trademark orange MACC’s lock-up attire. His hands were handcuffed. The man was is believed to be investigated under Section 16(a)(B) of the MACC Act 2009 for soliciting bribe, which carries a maximum jail term of 20 years and a fine of RM10,000, or five times the value of the bribe, whichever is higher, if convicted.

Sources told the New Straits Times that the Datuk had surrendered himself at the MACC’s office here past midnight to assist probe into the Penang undersea tunnel project. “The Datuk is one of two who surrendered themselves to the MACC, one here and another in Putrajaya,” he source said.

Yesterday, the MACC raided several state government offices in Komtar, which are involved in the proposed project. Also raided in the operation which began at 9am were several companies with connection to the project. MACC deputy chief commissioner (operations) Datuk Seri Azam Baki had said that the raids were conducted to assist investigation into the multi-billion ringgit project, connecting Gurney Drive on Penang island and Bagan Ajam on the mainland.

The raids were conducted following new leads received on the project. It is learnt that the MACC raided the State Secretary Office, the state Public Works Department, the state Valuation Department and the state Lands and Mines Department here. It is learnt that also raided were several private companies which included Ewin-Zenith Sdn Bhd, 555 Capital Sdn Bhd and Consortium Zenith here.

Last July, Parti Cinta Malaysia’s Datuk Huan Cheng Guan had submitted evidence of malfeasance related to the tunnel project. Huan again presented new evidence to the MACC to aid its probe last week. The 7.2km undersea tunnel is part of the RM6.3 billion project undertaken by Consortium Zenith. The project also included three paired roads.

The project had raised numerous controversies in recent months, especially on the high cost of the RM305 million feasibility studies as well as the 21-month delay in completing it.

–NSTP

Filed in: Nasional, Topik Pilihan

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. ‘Datuk’ remanded 6 days over MACC’s Penang undersea tunnel project probe | LiputanKini - January 11, 2018

    […] Source link […]

Tinggal Komen