9:34 pm - Wednesday February 21, 2018

Dr M dismisses Pakatan Harapan’s controversial PM candidacy issue as ‘internal affairs’

MAHATHIR MOHAMAD

MO,16/1/2018, PETALING JAYA: Pakatan Harapan chairman Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad today broke his silence on the pact’s controversial prime minister candidacy issue, dismissing it as “internal affairs”. According to him, the opposition coalition did not reject any names when they discussed the matter previously and are open to other suggestions.

However, when pressed by reporters on the issue, Dr Mahathir told the media that they do not need to know everything. “We are not rejecting anyone. Of course there will be some who disagree, so if anyone disagrees, we will look into it. “This is an internal matter. There’s no need for the press to know everything,” he told a press conference at the Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (PPBM) headquarters here today.

On Jan 7, Pakatan Harapan named Dr Mahathir as its candidate for prime minister and PKR president Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail as his deputy, in the event the opposition pact wins the 14th general election (GE14). It was also announced that as soon as Pakatan Harapan forms the federal government, the pact will initiate legal action to secure a royal pardon for PKR de facto leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.

Dr Mahathir’s nomination was met with criticisms where many questioned Pakatan Harapan’s decision of making the 92-year-old former prime minister take over the helm again. Selangor PKR communications bureau chief Hizwan Ahmad in a statement recently said PKR Selangor refused to endorse Pakatan Harapan’s choice of prime minister and deputy prime minister, adding that the top post should be held by a leader from PKR itself.

PKR women chief Zuraida Kamarudin too had refused to endorse the decision and proposed for Selangor MB Datuk Seri Mohamed Azmin Ali to be nominated for the post instead. Meanwhile, commenting on the status of Pakatan Harapan’s registration with the Registrar of Societies (RoS), Dr Mahathir said the agency has yet to give any updates to the pact.

“We have written several letters but all went unanswered. However, we will send another letter soon and hope we can meet with RoS officers,” he said. When asked if the parties in Pakatan Harapan would contest under one party logo in the event their registration gets rejected, Dr Mahathir said the pact has yet to decide on the matter.

RoS director-general Surayati Ibrahim when contacted said briefly that the agency have “no updates yet” on the matter.

–NSTP

Filed in: Nasional, Politik, Topik Pilihan

Tiada Komen Lagi

Tinggal Komen